in

Boy Electrocuted While Trying to Free Kite from Electric Wire

Boy Electrocuted

An 11-year-old boy was electrocuted in Barangay Pusok, Lapu-Lapu City, while attempting to free a kite that became entangled in an electric wire. The incident occurred when the boy, identified only as “Mark,” used a metal rod to dislodge the kite from the wire.

Here are some details according to the report of GMA Regional TV News.

Dangerous Attempt Leads to Electrocution

Witnesses described a harrowing scene as Mark lay sprawled on the roof of a daycare center in Sitio Matumbo after the electric shock. His father, uncle, and a neighbor quickly responded to the commotion and climbed onto the roof to assist the boy.

Liezel Caramihan, the mother of one of Mark’s playmates, said she had warned the children about the dangers of flying kites near electric wires. She added that a neighbor also cautioned Mark moments before he went up the roof.

The Lapu-Lapu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) quickly responded to the scene and rushed Mark to the Lapu-Lapu City Hospital. Dr. Debrah Custodio, the hospital administrator, said the boy sustained second-degree burns from the incident.

Despite medical intervention and proper hydration, Mark’s parents decided to transfer him to a private hospital for further treatment. He is currently recuperating, with his condition being monitored.

Brief Power Outage and Safety Regulations

The electrocution caused a brief power outage in Sitio Matumbo, underscoring the dangers of kite flying near electric wires. This incident also highlights the city’s ongoing efforts to regulate kite flying due to safety risks and the operations at Mactan Cebu International Airport.

Lapu-Lapu City’s City Ordinance No.16-033-A-2022 restricts kite-flying in areas where it may pose risks to power lines or airport operations. The ordinance stresses that parents and legal guardians have a duty to guide children away from unsafe practices. This includes avoiding flying kites near electric wires.

Authorities urge residents to follow safety regulations and avoid flying kites near electric wires or other hazardous areas. The incident reminds us of the potential dangers involved. It also underscores the importance of following safety guidelines to prevent similar accidents in the future.

Read Also: Two-Year-Old Boy Dies, Four-Year-Old Sister Injured After Father Stabs Them

Report

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

    Fire at Talisay City

    Fire in Talisay City Destroys 16 Homes, Causing P1.2 Million in Damages

    Girl Shot Dead

    14-Year-Old Girl Shot Dead While Answering Learning Modules at Home