in

3 Dead, 5 Hospitalized After Consuming Puffer Fish in Albay

Puffer Fish

A family meal turned tragic in Libon, Albay, as three members lost their lives and five others, including a two-year-old child, were hospitalized after consuming puffer fish, locally known as ‘butete.’

According to the Rural Health Unit (RHU) in Libon, one of the victims found thefish at the shore and cooked it for the family meal, a dish they had eaten before. Tragically, just minutes after consuming the dish, three family members began experiencing weakness, stomach ache, and vomiting.

Rushed to the Pantao District Hospital around 2 p.m., the victims, unfortunately, did not survive the ordeal. Their symptoms, including weakness, abdominal pain, and uncontrollable vomiting, indicated poisoning from the consumed fish.

Perils of Puffer Fish

From the report of GMA Regional TV News, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) in Bicol emphasized a permanent ban on the purchase, distribution, and consumption of any kind of puffer fish, whether raw or processed, as outlined in Fisheries Administrative Order 249. Consumption of poisoned puffer fish can lead to severe symptoms such as numbness, paralysis, difficulty breathing, decreased blood pressure, and ultimately, death.

Puffer fish contain a lethal poison known as tetrodotoxin, which acts swiftly upon ingestion, causing immediate and potentially fatal effects. The incident serves as a grim reminder of the dangers associated with consuming certain types of seafood and the importance of adhering to safety regulations to prevent such tragedies in the future.

Read Also: 80 Wedding Guests Hospitalized After Alleged Food Poisoning in Maguindanao del Sur

Report

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

    Accident

    Teenager Dies, Woman Injured in Motorcycle Accident in Dipolog City

    Father stabs son

    Father Fatally Stabs Son in Narvacan, Ilocos Sur